Now that I’ve tackled the making of the Elsa dress with a major pattern hack, McCall’s had to put out a pattern with both and Anna and Elsa Dress (pattern number is M7000). I had another birthday party coming up and the sweet birthday girl had asked me ever so nicely if she could have an Anna dress instead of an Elsa dress- which I was more than happy to oblige!
It took a bit of wandering around my local Jo-Ann Fabrics to find everything that I wanted to use as my fabrics (much to the chagrin of my very cranky toddler who was more than happy to pull all the bolts of fabric from the shelves to entertain himself.)
I ended up taking home:
5/8 yard white swimwear lining for the yolk and neckline
3/8 yard black bridal satin for the bodice ( in hindsight I would double this to line the inside with the black satin as well, but that’s just my personal choice)
7/8 yard of Blue Jewel Crepe for the skirt
2 5/8 Yard of a Very Berry Suiting Cotton for the Cape ( I did not want to line the cape as it is already hot hot hot here this NC Summer)
5 Yards of Black Poly Ball Fringe (if you want to do the ball fringe on the top and bottom of the cape, I recommend getting 5 1/2 yards or even 6 yards to be safe)
1 M&M covered silent toddler (just checking to see if you’re still with me!)
I already had a 20″ zipper to use at home. Ran out to the local Wal- Mart ( because there’s more wal-marts than I can count around here!) to pick up an oversized fabric hook and eye for the neckline of the cape.
Assembly of the pattern was straight forward…I chose to do a french seam on the inside of the cape as it was not lined and I didn’t want the seams showing. I also serged/coverstitched as much of the dress as I could- as it was going to be a play costume.
The flower appliques were relatively easy to create- I ironed on heat and bond light on the fabrics and then used tracing paper to draw the pattern provided onto the white paper backing of the heat and bond light. I then hand cut the individual appliques and ironed on with a warm iron. Because the fabric of the dress would not withstand the high temp it would be required to fully adhere the appliques, I topstitched them on to ensure that they stayed put. The pattern called for the flowers to go around the entire bottom of the skirt, but honestly after cutting out 16 small little green leaves, my hands were already hurting and the idea of cutting out 16 more did not agree with my fingers!
So here is the finished product- you’ll have to forgive the way it hangs on the mannequin- I don’t have a child sized mannequin and I used a metal one I have on hand (and had to leave the back of the dress unzipped).
Anna’s Cape over Dress
I could not be happier with how it turned out and am pleased with how the pattern came together- I would definitely recommend this pattern to all of the Frozen loving girls with crafty moms, dads, and grandparents out there… after all, Halloween will be here before you know it!